Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pecan Pie (aka: the only thing I accomplished today)

I've tried several different pecan pie recipes.  I've doctored, added and subtracted, then scratched my head and started over.  I think this is a good, solid recipe for a classic dessert.  Some things are just best kept pretty simple.  Try it and let me know if you agree!  I made a few tweaks to a recipe that claims to be that of The Camellia Grill in New Orleans

Pecan Pie
makes 2-9" deep-dish pies

10 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
2 cups light corn syrup
1/2 cup cane syrup*
2 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 unbaked pie shells
2 cups pecan halves

1.  Beat eggs with a wire whisk (I use a stand mixer to make the pie filling).
2.  Add salt, butter, syrups, brown sugar and vanilla extract.  Blend well.
3.  Pour filling into pie shells (tip:  don't overfill crusts--leave room for pecan topping and for filling to bubble while baking).  Top with pecan halves.
4.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

*more light corn syrup can be substituted for the cane syrup if unavailable

No comments: