Thursday, November 29, 2007

Garden Rice

I came up with this over the summer when I was trying to make something for a family picnic without going to the grocery store, using produce from my/my neighbor's garden.

Garden Rice

4 bags quick-cook 10 minute rice, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ small onion, minced
1 small-medium zucchini, grated
2-3 diced fresh tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 packet powdered Italian Dressing
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch fresh-ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, to taste (I use a palm-full)

Heat butter, oil, minced garlic and onion until slightly sizzling. Add zucchini and tomatoes. Cook until just getting soft. Add remaining ingredients, stir and allow to simmer at very low heat until flavors combine. Stir together with cooked rice and allow to stand so sauce soaks into rice.

No comments: