For some reason, I decided I just had to have cherry almond cookies. I couldn't find a recipe that was quite what I wanted. Here's what I've come up with:
Cherry Almond Cookies
makes 6-7 dozen
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup oat flour*
1/4 cup ground flax seed (can be omitted)
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add baking soda/water and salt to batter.
- Stir in flours, flax seed, cherries and almonds.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven, until cookie edges are lightly browned.