Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cast Iron Skillets and Quesadillas

Let's also call this post a few other things.  Such as, "Sneaking more healthy food into your kids' dinner" (yes, that again).  Or, "Feed your inner child" (or your real children).

Quesadillas are a popular quick meal in my house, and there are so many things you can do with them.  Of course, my kids are partial to the standard "chicken and cheese, please".  This isn't so much a recipe post, but a way to start thinking about all the fillings you can use for these quick-to-the-table lunch and dinner options.

I found a way to hide some more nutrition in our chicken and cheese quesadillas.  I pureed a can of great northern beans (used my food processor and added just enough water that they blended into a smooth paste) and spread them on one of the tortillas, then added shredded cheese and diced chicken breast.  The color and mild flavor of the great northern beans make them virtually undetectable by even the pickiest eater.  Yay!  

Now, onto the real fun part.  I'm sure many other people have thought of this before it popped into my mind, but go with me anyway:  S'MORES QUESADILLAS!  I had some leftover whole wheat tortillas, mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.  I always have butter and my trusty cast iron skillet.  Oh my.  Where have these been all my life?  Easy.  Yummy.  Go make yourself one, or two.  Or ten.  I won't judge you.

Some other quesadilla ideas:
  • peanut butter and jelly
  • peanut butter and banana
  • pizza
  • nutella and cherries
  • use some leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip as a filling
  • Ranch Chicken (diced chicken, ranch dressing, cheddar cheese and diced red/yellow bell pepper)
Just think of all the things you can do!  Do you have any favorites?




1 comment:

BeOne said...

We make cast iron quesadillas all the time! Awesome stuff and fun for everybody. Made-to-order OR make-your-own! Thanks for the extra applications!