Saturday, January 8, 2011

Happy New Year! Go forth and eat...Homemade Ranch Dressing!

Welcome, 2011!  I hope it's a good year for everyone.  I know it promises to be a busy one for me.  A while ago I recommended a favorite food blog of mine, Annie's Eats.  She posted a great recipe for homemade ranch dressing.  Who doesn't love ranch dressing?  No, really.  Tell me.  Who?  If you know someone who doesn't?  Make them try this.  I've tried a couple different recipes and this is my favorite (Pioneer Woman has another good recipe).  I only made one modification--the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon lemon juice.  I prefer to use 1 tablespoon white vinegar instead.  Several homemade ranch dressing recipes use a small amount of chopped fresh dills, so that is something else you may wish to add to yours.  Enjoy!

Homemade Ranch Dressing 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup mayonnaise (REAL, though you can use light)
3/4 cup sour cream (light can be used)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar (see notes above)
1/4-1 cup buttermilk (I like to use the full amount)
1 small bunch fresh chives, chopped
small handful chopped fresh parsley
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
kosher salt (to taste, appx. 1/2 teaspoon)
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

Combine all ingredients except buttermilk, salt and pepper in a food processor (blender or whisk and mixing bowl work as well).  While mixing, add in the buttermilk 1/4 cup at a time until desired taste and consistency is reached.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate in an airtight container.

 ingredients before blending

No comments: